Why Downtown Roanoke?
When it comes to creating an innovative ecosystem for businesses, Downtown Roanoke perfectly balances resources, culture, convenience and affordability with the advantages of a creative workforce and a central location. Combine these assets with a vibrant night life, premier events that draw heavy foot traffic, and an adventurous outdoor scene; it is easy to see why doing business here is better than ever.
Learn more about Downtown Roanoke, Inc. and our mission.
Quick Facts About Our Area
- Downtown Roanoke’s residential population has grown over 450% since 2008 and is now home to over 2,600 people.
- Downtown Roanoke has over 70 Restaurants and over 40 Retailers.
- Downtown Roanoke offers a free Downtown Trolley.
- The Roanoke Region offers amazing outdoor amenities like greenways, mountain biking, and more.
- The Roanoke Region is the largest metropolitan area in Western VA with over 300,000 people.
- There are 25 colleges and universities with over 100,000 students within a 60-mile radius.
- There are over 6,000 high school, 2,400 community college, and 15,000 four-year graduates annually in our region.
- Our region is served by the Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport which just 10 minutes from Downtown Roanoke.
- Amtrak passenger train service offers a daily train that departs and arrives in Downtown Roanoke.
- View the City of Roanoke’s Community Profile.
Business Links and Entrepreneurial Resources
Below is the list of local business incentives along with applicable state incentives and a guide book for a more comprehensive listing.
The Virginia Enterprise Zone Program is a State and Locality partnership in which a variety of incentives are available in a geographically specific area. Enterprise Zone One A covers much of Downtown Roanoke. Learn more.
Downtown Roanoke, Inc. offers a Beautification Grant for Downtown businesses and property owners. Download the application to learn more.
The Commonwealth of Virginia provides a competitive list of incentive programs available for companies coming to Virginia, and existing businesses making substantial capital investment or job creation investments. Programs available through the Virginia Economic Development Partnership include:
- Virginia Commonwealth's Opportunity Fund
- Virginia Jobs Investment Program
- Governor's Agriculture and Forestry Industries Development Fund
- Additional incentives and grants for: transportation access, rail development, port usage, and use of clean energy
- For more information and a comprehensive list of programs available in Virginia visit the Virginia Economic Development Partnership’s website.
For an overview of local and state incentives, visit the Roanoke Regional Partnership’s website.