Downtown Roanoke's Central Business District Trash Compactors
A Central Business District trash compactor program was established through a partnership between Downtown Roanoke, Inc. and the City of Roanoke. The compactors are sealed and prevent the build-up of business waste on Downtown sidewalks, as well as the on-street pickup during peak outdoor dining hours. More information on the program can be found here.
Compactor Zones and Locations
Zone 1: Kirk Avenue Compactor - located on Kirk Ave behind Mill Mountain Coffee and Tea
Zone 2: Campbell Court Compactor - located in the Campbell Court Bus Station, entry from Salem Ave
Zone 3: Kirk Avenue Compactor #2 - located in the parking lot across from Fortunato's restaurant
Zone 4: Hampton Inn Compactor - located in the parking lot behind former Fire Station #1
Zone 5: Luck Avenue Compactor - located in the parking lot behind Martin’s Downtown Bar and Grill
Some key points about the compactor:
- The compactor is located in a secure, fenced area with access only allowed via key fobs issued to each business
- The compactor is well lit and has security cameras on it 24/7
- Each business receives two free compactor uses per week. Each additional use of the trash compactor will cost $1. The charge is only incurred when the trash compactor is used.
- The recycling area inside the trash compactor's fence is free to use for all trash fob holders.
- Current users of the CBD compactor will not see an increase in price over their current charges, but have the opportunity to reduce their monthly costs.
Should any situation arise, please call City of Roanoke's Solid Waste Staff at (540) 853-6846 or DRI at (540) 342-2028.
What Our Business Owners Are Saying:
"We love having it readily accessible and the recycling option is perfect for us."-John, Roanoke Natural Foods Co-Op
"I think it is wonderful and beneficial to all. It beautifies the streets, encourages recycling, and provides a positive opportunity for us to come together for a better Downtown Roanoke."-Maya, On the Rise Bread Co.
"I think it is nice not to have stinky trash and piled up cardboard right by our door. It makes the Market look better to not have trash all over the place."-Stacy, The Gift Niche