Visiting Downtown Roanoke isn't just for humans. Our 4-legged friends love it too. To make your visit a little easier, we've compiled a list of downtown businesses that are dog friendly. Grab your pooch and head downtown to shop, dine, and play local.
A few housekeeping items to keep in mind as you load your pup into the car:
- All dogs must be on a leash at all times.
- If you bring your dog with you, you're responsible for cleaning up after them. Please pick up your dog poop and dispose of it in an appropriate trash receptacle.
- If your dog is aggressive with other dogs, people, or children, please leave your dog at home.
- Hot pavement poses an injury risk to dog's paws. Take a look over this AKC article for more details. Quick take-away - if you can't place your place your hand on the pavement for 10 seconds comfortably, it’s too hot for your dog’s paws.
Now, let's get to the fun part. Below is a list of the downtown businesses that welcome dogs. We'll keep adding to this list as we learn of more dog-friendly spots.
Dog Friendly Breweries
- Big Lick Brewing Company - Downtown Roanoke's premier microbrewery, taproom and beer garden specializing in craft beer with an emphasis on quality and variety.
- Golden Cactus Brewing - serves specialty craft beers brewed in Downtown Roanoke. With over ten years brewing experience, head brewer Evan Graham likes to keep an ever-changing tap list of hand-crafted and creative brews.
- Olde Salem Brewing Company - Their first satellite location features a blend of experimental small batch brews produced on site, as well as the tried and true classics from their original Main Street Salem location.
- Starr Hill Roanoke Pilot Brewery - They showcase new beers and new music in the Starr City of the South.
- Three Notch’d Craft Kitchen & Brewery - The brewpub is located in the heart of Downtown Roanoke directly across from Center in the Square. Their kitchen specializes in creating locally-sourced, beer-infused dishes designed to complement the season as well as what’s on tap. Pets are allowed on the outdoor patio.
Dog Friendly Events & Venues
- Dickens of a Christmas - The Roanoke Valley’s largest holiday celebration, Dickens takes place on the first three Friday nights in December.
- Dr Pepper Park - Enjoy concerts & festivals in a unique setting by the Roanoke River at the base of Mill Mountains.
- Elmwood Park - Please check with individual event organizers to find out if specific events here are dog friendly.
- Party in Elmwood - The best beach party in the Valley - every Thursday from May through September in Elmwood Park.
- St Patrick's Day Parade & Shamrock Festival - This event is one of the largest St. Patrick's Day celebrations on the East Coast.
Dog Friendly Hotels
- The Hampton Inn & Suites - Downtown Roanoke - The hotel is conveniently located in the heart of Downtown Roanoke, a short walk from Roanoke City Market, Elmwood Park, and surrounding restaurants.
- The Liberty Trust - With 54 luxurious guest rooms, the hotel’s design is significantly inspired by its original standing as the former historic First National Bank headquarters that was constructed in the early 20th century.
Dog Friendly Restaurants (outdoor seating only)
- Alejandro's Mexican Grill - Their Salsa Bar, authentic California style Mexican Food, California Fusion Cuisine, and award-winning Margaritas are a Roanoke favorite.
- Awful Arthur's Seafood Company - Get your fill of crab, shrimp, hushpuppies and more.
- Beamer's 25 - Friendly service and a passion for good food intercepts memorabilia of a legendary coach, Frank Beamer.
- Big Valley Barbeque - Fresh-made lunch dishes will carry you through a busy day, but honestly, you're going to want to come back for dinner.
- Cabo Fish Taco - Enjoy Taco Tuesday at Cabo, where they offer a unique fusion of fresh seafood and baja Mexican cuisine.
- Food Fanatics Kitchen - A Roanoke Neighborhood Restaurant serving rustic Italian cuisine with a twist.
- Fork in the Market - They serve up your favorite Urban Fork Fare including a simple and delicious array of classic American tastes with an urban appeal.
- The Hatch - Serving up chicken sandwiches and southern food done right.
- Hibachi Guys - Try out their hibachi beef, chicken, or shrimp.
- Roanoke City Market Building - outdoor community seating areas
- Scrambled - They offer “Fast Casual Breakfast” in a great downtown setting with a large Garden Patio for seating.
- Three Notch’d Craft Kitchen & Brewery - The brewpub is located in the heart of Downtown Roanoke directly across from Center in the Square. Their kitchen specializes in creating locally-sourced, beer-infused dishes designed to complement the season as well as what’s on tap.
- Tuco's Taqueria - They offer modern Latin American food, inventive spirits with select ingredients organically grown on-site, and more than 90 tequilas and mezcals.
Dog Friendly Retailers
- 310 Rosemont - They're a contemporary boutique for men and women, specializing in bringing you the latest trends. (If you're lucky, you might even see a cute yellow dachshund named Lemon.)
- Book No Further - They're an independent bookstore offering bestsellers, new fiction and non-fiction, along with like-new used books.
- The French Farmhouse - They offer modern farmhouse home decor, lighting and furniture.
- Historic City Market - In the heart of Downtown Roanoke since 1882, vendors offer locally grown fresh fruits, vegetables, flowers, and plants, plus fresh meats, cheeses, baked goods, and artisan hand-crafted items.
- La De Da - They're an imaginative and artistic boutique nestled on the corner of Church and Market Streets in Downtown Roanoke.
- Ladles and Linens Kitchen Shoppe - They specialize in unique and quality items for the kitchen and home.
- Mast General Store - They sell a broad selection of goods, including food, apparel & outdoor gear.
- Milan Tobacconists - For over 100 years, they've operated the most unique cigar and tobacco shop of its kind in Virginia, catering to discerning smokers with custom blended pipe tobaccos, premium, super premium, and vintage cigars, smoking pipes, and accessories.
- Unleashed Dog Bakery & Boutique - They offer high-quality treats made with simple ingredients that pet parents can trust and carry a wide variety of specialty toys, collars and leashes, travel accessories, and necessities.
- Walkabout Outfitter - They're an outdoor clothing and gear retailer that carries high-quality, trusted brands and cater to every level of experience. They carry Ruffwear clothing, harnesses, leashes, accessories and more for dogs.
- Wyndrose Boutique - They specialize in sustainably sourced home decor & apparel from all corners of the globe, including right here in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.